How to Reset Netgear Router | Router not working after Reset- Fixed
Reset Netgear router is the only solution in hand when you can’t remember router login credentials or see an authentication error during sign in.
Moreover, it’s the first and foremost solution that is tried for all Netgear router problems.
Wondering! Why so? Well, the answer lies within the process name- “ROUTER RESET” i.e., all customized settings will be set to default.
Thus, any factor hindering the router’s smooth functioning will get removed automatically!!
NOW, let’s get to it!!
How to Reset Netgear Router: Systematic Procedure
The process applies on most of the Netgear Routers. i.e
|Netgear Nighthawk AC1900||Router N-300||NETGEAR - AC 1750||KWGR614|
|Nighthawk AC2600||N-600||AC 1200||HR314|
|Netgear Nighthawk AC1750||Router N-150||NETGEAR - AC 1900||Netgear MR314|
|Nighthawk AC2300||N-750||AC 0750||MR814v2|
|Nighthawk AC3200||Netgear N-900||NETGEAR - AC 1600|
Note: If you own DGN2000 or DG834gv5 router then, check out the process explained after this section.
Unplug your Router
Detach the power cable connected to your network router and ensure all its lights are off. Also, make sure that your Netgear router can be operated fully.
Locate ‘Reset’ or ‘Restore Factory Settings’ button on Router
Most of the time, the label of reset button can be found at the router’s back. However, if it’s not there-check the router’s top and later, sides.
Press Reset button on router
To avoid an accidental reset, this button is located inside a small hole. So, take a small paper like tool to press and hold the reset button for around 10 to 20 seconds.
Note: Make sure you implement this step while the router is operating.
Release ‘Reset’ button to restore Factory Settings
As soon the light starts blinking solid green or white, release the reset button on router.
Now, the router will reboot and restore its factory settings to archived information.
Ready for Setup
Finally, if the internet light on router lights up, you may connect the router to network cables and login your Netgear router account using default credentials.login to admin panel and start router setup
For router login not working, see the troubleshooting tips to fix Netgear router login.
Steps to Reset DGN2000 or DG834Gv5 Routers
Herein, the steps to reset DGN2000 and DG834gv5 routers differ- when compared with other routers.
So, if you own any of these models- follow the steps defined further:
- Locate ‘WPS’ and ‘Wireless’ button on back of your Netgear router.
- Press and hold both these buttons together for around 6 seconds and then, release them- as you see red light blinking on the router.
- Finally, your router will reboot and restore to its default factory settings. After which, you can setup and configure your router using reliable steps.
Besides this, if you want to setup or change the password of Netgear router, see Netgear router Setup Guides.
Troubleshoot Error: Netgear Router Won’t Reset
In the worst scenario, when you fail to hard reset Netgear router - simply follow these troubleshooting tricks and help yourself get rid of the error.
- In Control Panel Window, navigate to “Programs and feature” section-> and click on “Turn Windows Features on or off” in the left
- Scroll down to “TFTP client” option in the new window and enable it.
- Next, navigate to “Network and Internet” option in Control Panel-> and, open “Network and Sharing Center” window.
- Click on ‘Change Adapter settings’ on left pane of the window and set your IP address, Subnet Mask, and Default gateway as provided by ISP.
In case, you don’t have this information- contact Wi-Fi Router Support for the solution.
- Now, download Netgear router firmware, connect your PC to Ethernet port and turn ON your router.
- Then, type “tftp-i168.1.1 put firmware.chk” in command prompt window.
- Finally, wait patiently for the Netgear router to reboot itself.
You can now reset wireless router properly!!
Answer to Some More “Reset Netgear Router” Queries
Some unanswered questions of Netgear router reset.
Can I reset Netgear router using mobile or tablet?
No. The process to factory reset Netgear Nighthawk is not feasible wirelessly. The user has to attach the device like laptop or PC physically to the router and then, factory reset it manually.
If the light doesn’t turn up on router, what to do?
You can start by inspecting the power connections and other units helpful in router reset. If any of these units are damaged, loose, or wear out- then, replace them first.
Hope, the how-to-process and troubleshooting guides to reset Netgear router help you. However, if your query is still not answered or you need more assistance,
Simply call Wi-Fi router login experts @ 1-866-317-4606 (toll-free in the US and Canada).